Tuesday 14 February 2017

Original Art - Part 8: Karl Kopinski's Craftworld Eldar

Back in 2011, I found myself in a café bar in an old Victorian music hall in Nottingham, my wallet full of cash. I was there to meet the ex-GW artist Karl Kopinski to purchase a pair of stunning illustrations. Karl and I conducted the transaction over a pint, and I came away a little poorer, but very happy indeed.

The two pieces of artwork I purchased were published in the Codex Craftworld Eldar book in 2000. The mini-dex provided rules for fielding the various major Eldar Craftworlds. Each Craftworld receiving a two-page spread, accompanied by one of Karl's illustrations.

Codex Craftworld Eldar, published in 2000.


I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to buy the illustrations for the Ulthwé and Alaitoc Craftworlds (sadly not Saim-Hann - my favourite). 
 

The two illustrations are composed as sidebars for the Codex pages, and rendered on Daler artboard in monochrome with dense patches of ink. I'll leave the illustrations to do the talking!

Ulthwé the Damned

Ulthwé detail

Ulthwé Farseer - Eldrad Ulthran perhaps?

Alaitoc Ranger Force

Rangers detail

At ~35x11cm, the originals are about 60% larger than the reproduced illustrations in print:




So where did the other illustrations of the other Crafworlds go? Karl didn't have them any longer, so I guess they might be out in the wild somewhere too!

17 comments:

  1. Karl Kopinski is a fantastic artist I still fancy following the work from on FB. Some great illustrations you got here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Karl is one of the best illustrators GW has had - certainly in the modern era. Like you, I still enjoy seeing his work now, whatever the subject matter (cyclists, Vikings or whatever!).

      Delete
  2. Hot damn Jon, those are tasty.

    I also follow him on FB. As you say, one of the best GW illustrators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wait until you see the really dark inked areas Paul. And the daubs of white paint for the highlights. You can't really convey it without seeing them in hand!

      Delete
  3. I'm unfamiliar with this artist, but I like what you've shown of his work. I have a soft spot for B&W, pen & ink, and charcoal....basically any art with high contrast I think.

    Lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heartily recommend you take a look at the Art of Karl Kopinski Facebook page and familiarise yourself :)

      Delete
    2. Will do.....if I can figure out how to drive FB :)

      Delete
    3. Or there's http://karlkopinski.com (few pics though) :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I do feel pretty privileged to own these and my other pieces :)

      Delete
  5. Very nice mate, chuffed to bits for you! They are both very beautiful and seriously cool. That Farseer is particularly amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! The Farseer is great - my favourite element on either illustration.

      Delete
  6. Do you have any of the Mark Gibbons stuff? I can think of a few (dozen) images of his I'd like to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a Mark Gibbons piece, but sadly I don't have any :(

      Delete
  7. Very very nice!
    The Malt Cross is a very nice pub too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome to see generous people who, when they have the chance to own such master pieces, put high res images for the rest of the world. Thank you sir.
    BTW: great blog too!

    ReplyDelete